Click here for the Speaking The Truth In Love revised Syllabus
Please join us for this Wednesday Night Adult Education offering (March 4-May 27) as we learn how to improve our relationships with God and with others, along with developing a healthy love of self.
Based on the book “Speaking the Truth in Love: How to Be an Assertive Christian,” by Rev. Dr. Kenneth C. Haugk, founder and Executive Director of Stephen Ministries, and Ruth Koch. Books are available in the church office to purchase for $10.00.
This course is based on three principles:
1. That individuals are response-able
2. That people continually make choices
3. That God will direct you as you learn to think and behave assertively
Learning how to be an assertive Christian means that:
1. You will notice a pleasant change in your friendships brought about by your enhanced self-confidence and newfound ability to express your own preferences and to honor the choices of others
2. You will reduce aggressive or dominating behaviors you might have because you will learn how to express your own needs without giving offense or having to make a show of power
3. You will learn how to allow God’s power to be the most important factor in unifying your life and personality.
The class will require a level of vulnerability, and a willingness to self-disclose. The first session on March 4th will consist of opening comments, questions, and an ‘Assertiveness Inventory,’ which will help participants assess where they are at in terms of interpersonal interactions: whether a majority of interactions are passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive, or assertive. This inventory is important as it will help point out personal growing edges to pay attention to during our sessions together, and also during our lifetimes. Your responses will not be shared with myself or the group. Each session will provide Biblical Background and Scriptures for Meditation.
Topics will consist of:
-What is Assertiveness?
-How Jesus Lived Assertively
-Techniques of Assertiveness
-What to Say and Do when you want to be Assertive
-How to Make Requests
-Granting, Refusing, or Negotiating Requests
-Offering and Receiving Criticism
-Exposing, Expressing, and Receiving Anger
This class is highly recommended for:
-Anyone who communicates!
-Church Officers (Deacons, Elders)
-Persons interested in Stephen Ministry
-Anyone interested in improving their lives with one another, and with God.
Classes conclude on May 20th
8:30 am - Men's Bible Study, Room 103
FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH
11:00 am - Prayer Group, Room 103
6:30 am - Men's Bible Study, Hassler Chapel
SECOND TUESDAY OF THE MONTH
7:00 pm - Men's Book Group
with friends and family while renewing your commitment to Christian Education!
DINING UNDER THE STEEPLE! Meet us in Hassler Chapel!
B.Y.O.S. (Bring Your Own Sandwich)
TWO CHOICES FOR YOUTH AND ADULTS:
1) "Apologetics" in Room 102 (led by Steve Buxton) No class April 29. or
2) "Speaking the Truth in Love" in Hassler Chapel (led by Rev. Nikki Passante). Click here for more details.
6:30 a.m. - Men's Bible Study at the Court Diner, Media. All are welcome.
10:00 am - Women's Bible Study
Right now, we are studying The Gospel of John and the Psalms.
All women are welcome to come at any time.
SECOND THURSDAY OF THE MONTH
Lima Estates Bible Study - 1:00 pm, in the Chapel
THIRD THURSDAY OF THE MONTH (no meeting in February)
White Horse Village - 10:00 am
Media Presbyterian Church
30 East Baltimore Avenue
Media, PA 19063