History

The first church service of the infant Media Presbyterian Church was held on March 10, 1850 in the Temperance Hall on the second floor over John C. Beatty's Dry Goods and Grocery Store. Mr. Beatty's store, located on the northeast corner of South Avenue and State Street, was the first store to be constructed in Media after it became a town.

John Beatty was an ardent supporter of this new church. While regular church services were held on the second floor above the store, a Sabbath School was also organized. It met in the home of John Beatty which was built immediately behind the store, fronting on South Avenue. Reverend James W. Dale began making plans to construct a church edifice, a home for the new Presbyterian Church in Media.

The new church was built on one of two lots donated to the church by Mr. John Beatty from 40 acres he had purchased in 1853. The architect was John McArthur of Philadelphia and the chief contractor was John Haddock of Media. The sanctuary was designed to seat 350. The cornerstone of the church was laid on July 4, 1854. The precise date of completion is unknown but the records from Middletown Presbyterian Church indicate the building was occupied in November 1854. On October 11, 1855, the Media Presbyterian Church was dedicated. The church operated in the beginning as a mission of the Middletown Presbyterian Church.

The total cost for construction of the church was $10,500. Construction of the church was financed partly through contributions with the balance of $3,500 paid for by the Presbytery of Philadelphia. The money promised by the Presbytery of Philadelphia was eventually paid but only after a long delay. Rev. Dale mortgaged his home and personally carried the debt for a long time.This was done so that the contractor could be paid and the construction of the church proceed without interruption. Besides the large contributions of both the Dale and Beatty families, Rev. Dale is said to have used his influence to secure subscriptions from others as is reflected by the contributions from Samuel Riddle ($150 plus pews), John Crozer ($125), and Samuel Leiper ($500). All were members of prominent industrial families in the area.

Senior Pastors

  • 1850 - 1868 - James W. Dale
  • 1869 - 1871 - Interim Student Pastors
  • 1886 - 1901 - David Tully
  • 1904 - 1929 - Samuel Harber Leeper
  • 1930 - 1961 - Charles V. Hassler
  • 1962 - 1970 - Donovan O. Norquist
  • 1971 - 1993 - Robert G. Kesel
  • 1993 - 1995 - James C. Carahar (Interim Pastor)
  • 1995 - 2013 - William L. Borror
  • 2013 -         - Rev. W. Stu Ritter (Interim Pastor)